Tuesday, April 13, 2010

California Bridges - Oakland Stack (3)


One last look at the Stack in Oakland California. I was wrong when I wrote that this interchange was part of the 'modern' aesthetic of the 1950s. The I-980 was a segment built in the 1980s to connect I-24 to I-880. When a mile of the I-880 collapsed during the Loma Prieta earthquake, the I-980 was used to divert traffic.

Although the interchange is only 20 years old, there is something 'modern' about its lines and contours. I've always been fond of the textured concrete forms used on the columns and bent caps. I also like the incongruent white column casings that give the interchange the look of a collage by Braque or of a tubular painting by Leger.
. Creative Commons License
California Bridges - Oakland Stack (3) by Mark Yashinsky is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.

No comments:

Post a Comment